Re: Secure Form Script?

From: Tim Tompkins (
Date: 05/21/04

    Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:31:09 -0700
    To: Beth Skwarecki <>

     From the perspective of a web-app developer, I feel much better knowing
    that I'm piping to sendmail for two main reasons:

    * The mail queue is maintained by an existing, reliable service. If my
    webapp were to attempt to directly deliver every message and the
    destination mail service were not available, I'd either have to discard
    the message or develop my own queue. This issue is especially critical
    when sending receipts where we would like to make every possible effort
    to ensure that the customer receives a receipt for their purchase. And
    I certainly would not want to develop my own queue when I already have
    postfix running to handle that.

    This is also an issue when it comes to delivering bulk mail, where
    postfix is much more sophisticated in its queue management than I'd care
    to undertake in a perl script for hundreds of thousands of messages.
    Besides, such a service already exists. Why attempt to reinvent it?

    * Handing the message off to sendmail/postfix ensures that I'm not
    holding up a web server process while my webapp attempts to deliver an
    email message. Besides tying up resources unnecessarily, this could
    potentially cause the http request to timeout and/or the end user to
    think that the web server did not respond to the request, and they may
    attempt to re-submit their order. In any case, given that the time to
    perform credit card authorization is already a variable in the length of
    a request, I'd prefer not to add mail transport to it.

    Tim Tompkins

    Beth Skwarecki wrote:

    > It's silly to be piping things to sendmail this way in perl. There are
    > two reasons why:
    > 1) To expand a bit on Bryce Porter's comments, it's much safer to use
    > system()'s built-in argument handling than to attempt to sanitize
    > arguments yourself before putting them all together on a command that
    > the shell gets to execute:
    > system LIST
    > system PROGRAM LIST
    > Does exactly the same thing as "exec LIST", except
    > that a fork is done first, and the parent process
    > waits for the child process to complete. Note
    > that argument processing varies depending on the
    > number of arguments. If there is more than one
    > argument in LIST, or if LIST is an array with more
    > than one value, starts the program given by the
    > first element of the list with arguments given by
    > the rest of the list.
    > In other words, the first argument to system() is the command, but
    > subsequent arguments are given to the command as its argv, *NOT* just
    > stuffed onto the command line. This way, a "; rm -rf /" won't be
    > executed as its own command, but just passed as an argument to the
    > program (which may then ignore it, give an error, etc, as it pleases)
    > 2) HOWEVER, it's silly to be using sendmail at all, in most cases.
    > This is what the perl module Mail::Sendmail is for. You give it a hash
    > with all the headers you want to send, and it sends directly (it is
    > *not* a wrapper around the sendmail binary; it works on all platforms,
    > even when sendmail is not installed):
    > use Mail::Sendmail;
    > my %mail = (
    > To => '',
    > From => '',
    > Subject => 'this is a test',
    > X-Silly-Header => 'asdfasdf',
    > Message => 'This is the body of my message blah blah blah'
    > );
    > sendmail %mail or die $Mail::Sendmail::error;
    > CPAN is your friend. :)
    > -beth

    • MTU PPP
      ... I would like to set the MTU of my ppp0 above 1500. ... sendmail ... Smart relay host in sendmail ... # checkpoint queue runs after every N successful deliveries ...
    • Re: Sending many e-mails
      ... what you are wanting to do is a fair bit out side of the scope of normal mailing list management software. ... a process of sendmail for each mail sent, but I don't see any way to avoid that method when using sendmail. ... will be far better off streaming the messages from your program that generates the individual messages in to Sendmail and have it queue the messages and let its queue scheduling empty the queue for you. ...
    • Re: connection timeout variable name?
      ... force a limit to how long sendmail waits when processing ... long time trying to send messages on the outbound queue, ... because of waiting for this eventual timeout. ... I've not changed the DNS setup recently. ...
    • Re: [opensuse] sendmail as non-root user
      ... For flushing the (postfix or sendmail) queue via 'sendmail -q' when ... I have not installed cnf and bash-completion down to the ... But, times when I'd want option completion for commands are ...
    • Re: best ways for mass mailing
      ... Mailing has two phases: queueing and delivering. ... MTA queue and tell it to deliver it later on the next queue run. ... call the sendmail program directly to do the same thing without TCP ...