RE: decent loadbalancing with 2 different ISP's with minimum risk s

From: Peter Mueller (pmueller_at_sidestep.com)
Date: 04/17/04

    To: "'focus-linux@securityfocus.com'" <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:49:18 -0700

    > Due to a little mistake i now have 2 broadband connections at
    > home and
    > somehow i want to balance them (2mbit + 1 mbit). I wondered what the
    > most efficient way of doing this is and with possible security risks
    > involved.

    You can do this in Linux with Julian Anasatov's Dead Gateway Detection
    kernel patches. http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/#routes. Specifically, you will
    want to peruse http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/nano.txt and
    http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/dgd-usage.txt.

    Using this technique you will very effectively be able to load-balance large
    number of connections. The solution will also detect when a gateway is dead
    and fail it over appropriately.

    > My current setup includes:
    > debian 3.0 stable 2.4.26 kernel
    > 3 networks: wlan, internal, external
    > statefull iptables-script

    Fine!

    > my future setup needs to include just an extra network namely
    > external2
    > :) without too many implications such as running a proxy with patches
    > which should be the last option to consider since my gateway
    > isn't all that fast :)

    Speed is not important here. You just need something fast enough to route
    your packets. A pentium 233 with 32 megs of ram and a decent NIC should be
    able to route > 20mbit of traffic.

    Cheers,