RE: decent loadbalancing with 2 different ISP's with minimum risks

From: Bryce Porter (bporter_at_heart.net)
Date: 04/16/04

    Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:18:56 -0500
    To: <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>

    P. Deelman,

    You probably can not do this the way you want to, as both of your ISP
    providers would have to support asynchronous routing or BGP if you have
    multiple IPs routed to your location. And therefore you will not be able
    to 'bond' the connections into a single 'virtual interface' of 3mbit
    (2mbit + 1mbit).

    If you are doing NAT on both connections, it might be possible to select
    the least-saturated link before transmitting data out, but you could not
    control how data is initially delivered to you. You would definitely
    need to NAT stacks, and you could probably do the saturation-based
    routing with iproute2's traffic control utility (assuming that you have
    all the QoS classifiers, queues, etc compiled or loaded into your
    kernel). Check out the LARTC Howto located at http://www.lartc.org/ for
    more details on that.

    Not sure how well this helps you, but if you would like to give me more
    details I may be able to assist you further.

    Regards,

    Bryce Porter
    Network Administrator
    Heart Technologies, Inc.