decent loadbalancing with 2 different ISP's with minimum risks

From: P. Deelman (p.deelman_at_hccnet.nl)
Date: 04/16/04

    Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:18:18 +0200
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    Due to a little mistake i now have 2 broadband connections at home and
    somehow i want to balance them (2mbit + 1 mbit). I wondered what the
    most efficient way of doing this is and with possible security risks
    involved.

    At the moment i have a nice setup with a statefull designed iptables
    firewall and i want to keep it that way. I've googled some and i found
    some vague tools for windows that i really don't trust (well the entire
    windows part, but that's something else) and a router that has 2 wan
    connectors that claims that can do it. Since i also have wlan at home in
    a wlan-dmz at my gateway i just want to insert a 4th nic into my box and
    do some configging.

    My current setup includes:
    debian 3.0 stable 2.4.26 kernel
    3 networks: wlan, internal, external
    statefull iptables-script

    my future setup needs to include just an extra network namely external2
    :) without too many implications such as running a proxy with patches
    which should be the last option to consider since my gateway isn't all
    that fast :)

    Any help welcome,
    Regards,
    P.Deelman

    • Re: decent loadbalancing with 2 different ISPs with minimum risks
      ... since I have 2 isp but now im only using one of them. ... >At the moment i have a nice setup with a statefull designed iptables ... >my future setup needs to include just an extra network namely external2 ... >which should be the last option to consider since my gateway isn't all ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • RE: decent loadbalancing with 2 different ISPs with minimum risks
      ... up a linux router for 2 ISPs: ... At the moment i have a nice setup with a statefull designed iptables ... my future setup needs to include just an extra network namely external2 ... which should be the last option to consider since my gateway isn't all ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • RE: decent loadbalancing with 2 different ISPs with minimum risk s
      ... > Due to a little mistake i now have 2 broadband connections at ... You can do this in Linux with Julian Anasatov's Dead Gateway Detection ... kernel patches. ... You just need something fast enough to route ...
      (Focus-Linux)