Re: Shadow files and the password "!!".

From: Tim Greer (chatmaster_at_charter.net)
Date: 01/29/04

To: "Bruno G. San Alejo" <bgonzalez@polar.es>
Date: 29 Jan 2004 12:48:13 -0800

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 17:19, Bruno G. San Alejo wrote:
> Hello everybody, I came accross some accounts (daemons I think) in a
> shadow file with the chars "!!" in the password field. The problem is
> that I haven't found any information about why or what type of accounts
> have that kind of password or even the meaning of that password. I
> apologize if this is a RTFM question, but I've been searching the WEB
> and the manuals (and asking other people) and haven't found out anything.
>
> Thank you for your time.

It means the account has no password, shouldn't have one and isn't
empty. It's a safe way of not having a password for a user.

--
Tim Greer <chatmaster@charter.net>

Relevant Pages

  • Bkt Antarabangsa tragedy- ???
    ... Highland Towers tragedy so quickly? ... If the experts pronounced it safe, they must be held accountable for their ... auditors are not liable for the accounts that ... having professional auditors then??? ...
    (soc.culture.malaysia)
  • Re: Win XP, NAT, DSL and File Sharing
    ... Thus no MS Networking leaks out to the Internet and hackers and Internet worms (Sasser, ... Some accounts do not have passwords as it ... It is the safe way to compute. ... it does nothing for security on the LAN side of the Router. ...
  • Re: Protect your 360 account
    ... It's not even certain that changing your password and upping your security ... now will keep you safe in any way whatsoever. ... details on both accounts ASAP. ...
    (uk.games.video.misc)
  • Re: GuildWars site of interest
    ... >It's a pretty safe bet most or all of the downloable files are ... keylogger trojans get posted pretty ... >their botting accounts banned. ... I'll have to take a peek at gwonline and see what it's like. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)
  • Re: GuildWars site of interest
    ... >>It's a pretty safe bet most or all of the downloable files are ... keylogger trojans get posted pretty ... >>much daily to the various GW groups (e.g. gwonline, ... >>their botting accounts banned. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)