Re: Shadow files and the password "!!".

From: Glynn Clements (glynn.clements_at_virgin.net)
Date: 01/29/04

    Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:13:28 +0000
    To: "Bruno G. San Alejo" <bgonzalez@polar.es>

    Bruno G. San Alejo wrote:

    > Hello everybody, I came accross some accounts (daemons I think) in a
    > shadow file with the chars "!!" in the password field. The problem is
    > that I haven't found any information about why or what type of accounts
    > have that kind of password or even the meaning of that password. I
    > apologize if this is a RTFM question, but I've been searching the WEB
    > and the manuals (and asking other people) and haven't found out anything.

    The usermod(8) manual page indicates that passwords beginning with "!"
    are locked.

    Examining my /etc/shadow file, I would guess that accounts with a "*"
    for the password hash are those which were included in the default
    /etc/shadow file which was part of the base OS installation, while
    those with "!!" for the password hash were added later using useradd
    (e.g. by the install scripts for specific packages).

    --
    Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>