Shadow files and the password "!!".

From: Bruno G. San Alejo (
Date: 01/30/04

    Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:19:21 -0500

        Hello everybody, I came accross some accounts (daemons I think) in a
    shadow file with the chars "!!" in the password field. The problem is
    that I haven't found any information about why or what type of accounts
    have that kind of password or even the meaning of that password. I
    apologize if this is a RTFM question, but I've been searching the WEB
    and the manuals (and asking other people) and haven't found out anything.

        Thank you for your time.

    "No te tomes la vida en serio, de todas formas no vas a salir vivo."
    "Don't take life seriously, anyway you ain't getting out alive."

    • Re: GLIDER
      ... Actually, in the current ban wave, they seem to have banned all accounts ... paid for by an offending credit card to catch people having two accounts, ... glider forums to get around risking valuable main chars). ...
    • Re: Policy enforcement- Admin accounts
      ... Sadly with AD you can only have one account security policy per ... your admin accounts there. ... Also, ONLY for admin accounts, I want to enforce certain settings like: ... minimum of 8 chars but I want to deploy this special policy of 15 chars ...
    • Re: password length default install
      ... > I remember linux had as default some eight chars or so. ... > more chars for some accounts. ... See the "DES, MD5, and Crypt" section in the Handbook. ...
    • Re: XP-Pro switch user w/o gets password prompt
      ... in the password field and hit enter, ... The two admin accounts have passwords, ... > alone is such a common word that it's worthless searching for anything, ... > Scot Harkins ...
    • Re: See what a weak password will get ya?
      ... I'd managed to goof a Samba config so that the, um, ... I *knew* I had a number of accounts to fix. ... Installed 'john' and copied the shadow file to another system. ... 'chpasswd' is another slick utility. ...