Re: LDAP problem

From: Steve Adams (steven_adams_at_nwtechops.com)
Date: 01/09/04

    Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 06:09:26 -0800
    To: Luca Falavigna <fala83@libero.it>

    Luca Falavigna wrote:

    > Hello list!
    > I installed on my Mandrake 9.1 openldap 2.0.27 (with all the backends,
    > clients and servers), nss_ldap.202, pam_ldap 156 but I'm not able to
    > authenticate any user. If I give the command ldapsearch -x -D
    > 'uid=root,ou=People,dc=dktrkranz,dc=net' -W 'uid=root', I can get all
    > the information I need, but if I give getent passwd I can only see
    > /etc/passwd accounts and I can't login using LDAP. I used chkauth to
    > change authentication method but even using authconfig from RedHat I
    > still have trouble
    > <snip>
    > suffix "dc=dktrkranz,dc=net"
    > rootdn "uid=root,ou=People,dc=dktrkranz,dc=net"

    No encrypted rootdnsecret entry. You might try adding one and then
    creating an ldap.secret file containing the secret in clear. This file
    needs to be owned by root (or the ldap user) with 600 permissions. In
    some cases the client machines will need the secret too else binding for
    root operations will not happen.