Re: UNIX Authentication

From: Ben Nelson (venom_at_venom600.org)
Date: 12/22/03

    Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:25:11 -0700
    To: Gareth Bromley <gbromley@intstar.com>

    Gareth Bromley wrote:
    > - LDAP seems to be the preferred method ongoing for SUN, and does
    > everyting NIS/NIS+ does with SSL/TLS style encryption if required.

    I've thought of switching my environment over to LDAP, but I've been
    unable to find anything like NIS netgroups implemented with LDAP. Are
    you saying that there is some mechanism for this now?

    I'd love to switch over to LDAP, but I'm currently limiting access to
    certain classes of machines to certain classes of users....with NIS
    netgroup. I've heard of people using LDAP along side NIS (just to serve
    the netgroup map), but I'd rather have all the functionality in one system.

    --Ben

    • Re: LDAP and netgroup.byhost / netgroup.byuser
      ... >> We make very heavy use of NIS in our current infrastructure and a lot of it ... I can't imagine having to manually manage netgroup, ... > feature of LDAP, or do a search filter in NSS lookups to limit your ... > Here are some good references on how to control which users access which ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • Re: UNIX Authentication
      ... > I've thought of switching my environment over to LDAP, ... > unable to find anything like NIS netgroups implemented with LDAP. ... > the netgroup map), but I'd rather have all the functionality in one system. ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Re: LDAP and netgroup.byhost / netgroup.byuser
      ... >> We make very heavy use of NIS in our current infrastructure and a lot of it ... I can't imagine having to manually manage netgroup, ... If I have LDAP and no NIS, ... to feed to revnetgroup, hence my dilemna. ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • Re: LDAP and netgroup.byhost / netgroup.byuser
      ... Kevin Collins wrote: ... > We make very heavy use of NIS in our current infrastructure and a lot of it ... I can't imagine having to manually manage netgroup, ... put these two maps in NIS, all the rest in LDAP, I am not sure though. ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • Re: LDAP and netgroup
      ... In article, Kevin Collins wrote: ... Same thing when I try to use netgroup in a .rhosts file. ... >>| that have come up when migrating NIS to LDAP? ... >> under LDAP the choices are to license Sun's LDAP server or to tackle ...
      (comp.unix.admin)