Re: UNIX Authentication

From: Chuck Wolber (chuckw_at_quantumlinux.com)
Date: 12/19/03

    Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:17:38 -0800 (PST)
    To: Luca Falavigna <fala83@libero.it>

    > What is the best auhentication system in a UNIX-based LAN? I've tried
    > NIS but it uses plaintext password and I'm looking for something safer.

    NIS is usually for closed environments. It does not use plaintext
    passwords, they are stored encrypted just like a machine without NIS.
    However, I'm pretty sure you are talking about plaintext across the
    network, rather than how they are stored. You can make sure all the pipes
    are encrypted if you implement something like ipsec on all of the hosts.

    That all being said, the "best" of anything is based on your own
    individual situation. You might try taking a look at kerberos though.

    -Chuck

    --
    Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
       * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-