Re: UNIX Authentication

From: Mauricio Araya V. (mauricio_at_hostarica.com)
Date: 12/19/03

    To: Luca Falavigna <fala83@libero.it>
    Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:03:50 -0600

    On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 12:00, Luca Falavigna wrote:
    > What is the best auhentication system in a UNIX-based LAN?
    > I've tried NIS but it uses plaintext password and I'm looking for
    > something safer.

    OpenLDAP, which is a suite of Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
    servers, clients, utilities and development tools.

    <from the website>
    LDAP is a lightweight alternative to the X.500 Directory Access Protocol
    (DAP) for use on the Internet. It uses TCP/IP stack verses the overly
    complex OSI stack. It also has other simplications, such as the
    representing most attribute values and many protocol items as textual
    strings, that are designed to make clients easier to implement
    </from the website>

    Take a look at http://www.openldap.org/
    > Thank you

    No Problem!