Re: UNIX Authentication

From: Paulius M. (paulius_at_pit.ktu.lt)
Date: 12/19/03

    Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:55:00 +0100
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    Andreas Schubert wrote:

    > Have you considered using nis+?

    I don't want flame but i wont recommend NIS+ because:
    a) server implementation exists only on solaris
    b) it's very complicated system with many (non yet discovered)bugs
    c) uses RPC (look @ b) )
    d) if there's any NIS host, NIS+ falls back to compatibility mode -
    functions just like NIS
    e) even SUN, which invented NIS+, don't recommends to use it, and urges
    to migrate to LDAP

    I thin that's enough reasons.

    --
    Paulius M.

    • Re: Password aging on Suns with NIS?
      ... >> wouldn't benefit from NIS+ even if we liked banging our heads against the wall). ... PAM, it looks like I could drop in a replacement for pam_unix_acct, but I suspect ... > An easy way to get password aging on the Solaris ... >> workstations and servers. ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • Re: Password aging on Suns with NIS?
      ... > Solaris 5.5, and Solaris 5.5.1 due to old apps that won't run on newer ... > wouldn't benefit from NIS+ even if we liked banging our heads against the wall). ... An easy way to get password aging on the Solaris ... > workstations and servers. ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • Re: need help with understanding NIS and Installation of Solaris 10
      ... How do we mount a CDROM and LUN on Solaris 10? ... Slice 4 was intended to hold state databases if I ever get around to mirroring the disk. ... for NIS. ... # Set up a YP master server ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Best Approach for migrating NIS from HPUX to Solaris
      ... We are planing to migrate the NIS environment running at our site from HPUX ... to Solaris 8, presently we are having a master server and three slave ...
      (SunManagers)
    • Re: Sparc SOlaris nis client to Linux NIS server
      ... >> nis client. ... I logon as root. ... >> Linux NIS server). ... >> I found was that when logging on the Solaris box via CDE it is not sending ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)