Re: UNIX Authentication

From: Thomas Lindsay (lindsayt_at_socsci.umn.edu)
Date: 12/19/03

    Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:52:54 -0600 (CST)
    To: Andreas Schubert <andreas.schubert@mathema.de>

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Andreas Schubert wrote:
    > Have you considered using nis+?

    nis+ has been discontinued by Sun Microsystems, effective some time this
    winter, I believe. Even Sun recommends against its use now. It's
    probably best to use some sort of LDAP solution (openldap, iplanet, etc.).

    There are even ldap-nis gateways available to support the few old
    (hopefully firewalled) machines you may have that can't support it.

    ---
    Thomas A Lindsay -- lindsayt@hist.umn.edu
    System Administrator, Social Science Research Facility
    PhD student, Department of History
    University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, West Bank
    ---
    The darkness drops again; but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
                        --W.B.Yeats, "The Second Coming" 1919

    • Re: Lavasoft Ad-Ware and NIS 2005 Firewall Help Needed
      ... come forward to support NIS 2005.. ... newsgroups deal with Microsoft products and problems essentially.. ... > posting, I have put a considerable amount of time in. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: Loss Broadband Connection
      ... find the NIS 2004 manual and it does allow ... manual settings, but the default automatic settings are just ... Norton is a good company to deal with though and has great tech | support. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: Norton Internet Security 2002 Problems
      ... Why am I not surprised that their telephone support ... If you're using NIS 4.0, are you running with a NIS administrator account ... (NIS accounts _may_ be different from OS accounts.) ... Okay, using NIS Rules Viewer, what rules are you talking about? ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Norton Internet Security 2002 Problems
      ... >Why am I not surprised that their telephone support ... >If you're using NIS 4.0, are you running with a NIS administrator account ... No Privacy control or user accounts created. ... I had setup the rules and the rules were failing. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?
      ... > ml> Is NIS reliable? ... you're conflating two different things: security and reliability. ... > ml> So the major advantages of Solaris is better support of obsolete ... Linux is in the future. ...
      (Debian-User)