Re: Static ARP table in Linux

From: Chuck Wolber (chuckw_at_quantumlinux.com)
Date: 12/12/03

    Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:31:49 -0800 (PST)
    To: Gil Disatnik <gil@disatnik.com>

    > Is there a way to prevent the arp cache from being filled yet to still
    > be able to advertise my own MAC? I thought about simply forcing the MAC
    > addresses I know into the cache (perm) and to also add those I don't
    > know with a bogus MAC, that's a really ugly workaround though.

    Rumor has it, that no-cat does most of what you are asking. I haven't yet
    had a chance to try it myself, so this is only heresay. It's meant for WAP
    management, but I'm sure it could be adapted for what you're describing.
    Website is here:

    http://nocat.net/

    -Chuck

    --
    Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
       * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-

    • Re: What about all of the data the OS stores about us?
      ... Bookmarks are similar to the URL cache but neither really replaces the ... People who switched to the Mac out of security concerns generally did so ... then a connection is made to an Apple ... but a task-oriented local app. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.apps)
    • Re: Will ICUII run properly with VirtualPC
      ... > I'd like to be able to run once I switch, but that aren't available for Mac, ... report being able to run WMP, while nearly everyone on an iBook or ... iMac (which lack cache) has reported problems rendering it unusable. ... I myself originally was able to run Windows Media Player to listen to ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc)
    • Re: fsync: Linux vs FreeBSD
      ... Mac OS X: For applications that require tighter guarantees about the ... In other words, if you have write-caching on, no effort is made to invoke ATA_FLUSHCACHE or SCSI "SYNCHRONIZE CACHE" to make sure that your disk has actually written the bits to permanent storage. ... on disk controllers. ... To emulate this with desktop drives, as cswiger said, hw.ata.wc should be turned off, with the expected influence on drive performance. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • mac address issue
      ... I'm seeing two different mac addresses ... it's arp cache, but the switch plugged into that port doesn't. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: 10.5.3 available now!
      ... What are boot caches? ... Mac OS X supports a set of add-on files called "kernel extensions". ... In order to speed up the process of loading all of the kernel extensions ... In Mac OS X 10.4 and earlier, the cache of kernel extensions was rebuilt ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)