Static ARP table in Linux

From: Gil Disatnik (gil_at_disatnik.com)
Date: 12/11/03

    Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:25:20 +0200
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    Hello,

    I am trying to have a firewall running with a static arp table for it's
    local network (I know I know... MAC can easily be changed. The users behind
    this firewall are not that advanced, all I want is that people will not be
    able to simply plug in a machine and get net access from it...)
    Back to business - when bringing up an interface with -arp, it's not only
    preventing the machine from adding new MAC entries to it's arp cache, but
    it's also stopping it from advertising it's very own MAC address.

    Is there a way to prevent the arp cache from being filled yet to still be
    able to advertise my own MAC?
    I thought about simply forcing the MAC addresses I know into the cache
    (perm) and to also add those I don't know with a bogus MAC, that's a really
    ugly workaround though.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks.

    Regards

    Gil Disatnik
    UNIX system administrator.

    GibsonLP@EFnet
    http://gil.disatnik.com

    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    apt-get install slackware
    "Windows NT has detected mouse movement, you MUST restart
    your computer before the new settings will take effect, [ OK ]"
    Windows is a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit GUI based on a 8 bit operating
    system, written for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company which can
    not stand 1 bit of competition.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

    • Re: [SLE] ethereal
      ... ARP is "address resolution protocol". ... ethernet connections are between hardware or MAC addresses, ... address of your ethernet card -- and obviously (I hope it's obvious ... most often consisting only of your gateway. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Pure IP & ARP broadcasts
      ... It actually communicates via the MAC address of the Nics (aka Layer2 ... what the ARP request does. ... A host has a packet to send, it has the IP# and nothing else. ... But if the owner of the IP# is not on that segment then the Router replies ...
    • Re: All I have is the MAC address which are on our LAN so no routers are involved.
      ... echo Clearing ARP Cache ... an IP on MAC How to use TCP/IP without installing a NIC. ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on = ... Anyway now I have the list of machines with MAC and IP, ...
    • Re: problem with router---NAT and caching?
      ... It is called the ARP table. ... > sender need not do any ARP requests since the association between MAC ... You can wait for those ARP cache entries to time out. ... It will then issue an ARP request, ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Re: All I have is the MAC address which are on our LAN so no routers are involved.
      ... addresses and then check the arp cache with "arp -a". ... an IP on MAC How to use TCP/IP without installing a NIC. ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on = ... Anyway now I have the list of machines with MAC and IP, ...