Re: Password Questions

circut_at_hackthisbox.org
Date: 12/04/03

    Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:01:59 -0600 (CST)
    To: Eric Scuccimarra <eric@quovad.com>

    > Not sure if this is the place to ask this but I'm not sure where else to.

    This place will do fine.

    > I have two RedHat 9 boxes. I want them to have the same users and
    > passwords. Can I copy the user, password and shadow password files from one
    > machine to the other or do they have some sort of built-in encryption that
    > will mess things up?

    You should look into NIS or NIS+. From the NIS-HOWTO (avalible at:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO )

    <------ *snip* { ------>
    NIS
        Network Information Service, a service that provides information, that
        has to be known throughout the network, to all machines on the network.
        There is support for NIS in Linux's standard libc library, which in the
        following text is referred to as "traditional NIS".

    NIS+
        Network Information Service (Plus :-), essentially NIS on steroids. NIS+
        is designed by Sun Microsystems Inc. as a replacement for NIS with better
        security and better handling of _large_ installations.
    <------ } *snip* ------>

    With these you can share the password file like you are asking. Also try
    to read the manpage for: 'ypbind' Both will help you greatly with this
    task.

                                                    -circut

    • Re: NIS cannot lookup username
      ... > setup properly, authentication succeeds, and everything is fine, EXCEPT ... > and reporting a segfault for the lock program. ... > why no users that authenticate via NIS have a name, ... You need something like this in the password files: ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • NIS And /home Dirs On Client Systems
      ... I noticed, a few years ago, when I first set up an NIS server, that even ... though the NIS clients get the full password files, ... util that reads the passwd file with 'ypcat passwd', then gets the names, ... makes the home dirs, and chowns them. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: NIS And /home Dirs On Client Systems
      ... >> I noticed, a few years ago, when I first set up an NIS server, that even ... >> though the NIS clients get the full password files, ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: [opensuse] Redesign of YaST Control Center
      ... The Network Information Service (NIS) provides a simple network lookup ... included in help, It would save you Google search, and make sure that you get ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: NIS
      ... NIS is not the abbreviation for that, ... NIS = Network Information Service, a service that provides information, ... Sun licenses the technology to virtually all other Unix vendors. ... Network Information Service ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)