Administrivia: Your responses

From: Hal Flynn (flynn_at_securityfocus.com)
Date: 11/26/03

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:39:00 -0700
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

Hi folks,

I had originally planned on getting this out to you a couple weeks ago.
I'm finally entirely caught up with the e-mail that I've received in
response to this thread, and am happy to say that I have read every
single e-mail I have received regarding the topic of trimming replies.
I'd originally hoped to personally respond to all e-mails I received
regarding this thread, but after digging my way out of my inbox on the
second day of receiving responses, I realized what an entertainingly
impossible hope it was. If you were disappointed with my lack of
response, please do not take it personally: I did not reply to
anybody. Instead, let me summarize my appreciation to everyone here.

I want to express my gratitude to each and every person on the list
that took time out of their busy schedules to respond. I commend you
for your selflessness in helping me understand the points of view of
the list members, and also in helping shape the future policy of the
list. To each of you, please accept my sincerest and humblest thank
you.

The overwhelming majority of the responding member base has expressed
support for the current list moderation policies. This includes the
rejection of posts that have not been properly trimmed, and adherence
to netiquette. Of the total responses received, less than 1% did not
support the current policy.

Another unexpected trend came out as a result of my question regarding
trimming replies. A majority of all received replies also expressed a
desire to eliminate top-posting from the list. Your voice has been
heard, and this request will be integrated into the revised list
moderation policy. I will be updating the list FAQs to add all of this
information.

While I have your ear, let me also remind you to exercise caution in
configuring your Out-Of-Office response software. Please do not
configure your software to respond to list posts.

And finally, I would also like to advise you of the coming lapse in
moderation. Thursday, the 27th of November is Thanksgiving in the US,
and I am planning on spending it with family. Moderation will cease at
close of business on the 26th of November, and will resume on December
1st.

Thank you all for your participation. I wish you all the happiest of
holidays.

Cheers,
Hal

--
Hal Flynn
Symantec Corp.

Relevant Pages

  • Administrivia: Your Responses
    ... response to this thread, and am happy to say that I have read every ... second day of receiving responses, ... support for the current list moderation policies. ... support the current policy. ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: Out of office auto reply
    ... It's that initial auto reply they are not receiving. ... Emails from outside the network are not complaining they never received the ... of response on my end since I was unable to retrieve emails during my ... myself at work) and did not get the OOF reply message. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
  • Re: The playlist format is not
    ... Attachments: There is 1 attachment ... Please read the response and indicate whether it answered your ... receiving notifications for this thread. ... We are unable to respond to any replies sent ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Errors in wintrust.dll
    ... Thank you for your response and please accept my apologies for the duplicate ... >> installing the second time, I began receiving messages saying that stmgr, ... when I use the System Utility and click ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Cisco response to Cisco VPN Client under XP
    ... users to disable driver signing. ... the response I received. ... Ian Kayne ... After receiving ...
    (Vuln-Dev)