RE: Relay control in qmail

From: joshua. (jnix_at_jnix.org)
Date: 11/04/03

    To: <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 12:26:27 -0500

    Chris Ess <mailto:securityfocus@cae.tokimi.net> wrote:
    > > I had configure qmail,qmailpopd and vpopmail on redhat8, when i
    > > tested for relaying using telnet on 25 port ,it was +ve.its is
    > > allowing relaying.
    > >
    > That said, I have seen open relay behavior for qmail when
    > /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts does not exist. If this file
    > does not exist,
    > I suggest creating it. A quick way to do this would be:

    [snip]

    Don't automate this process. Do it by hand. rcpthosts must exist, and must
    contain each domain that you intend to receive mail for. If you didn't
    install as in "Life with qmail", do so. If you don't understand how qmail
    works, you can get yourself in a heap of trouble.

    Note: vpopmail isn't very secure.

    > And then restart qmail and its services. (You may just need
    > to restart
    > qmail-smtp, but better safe than sorry sometimes.)

    If qmail is configured as you infer, you would just need to restart
    qmail-smtpd. Hopefully, you're running daemontools (you should be), and
    that can be accomplished with:

    svc -d /service/qmail-smtpd
    svc -u /service/qmail-smtpd

    If you continue to have problems, read the qmail list archives, linked from
    www.qmail.org/top.html, as well as all the documentation. Then, if you
    haven't figured it out, send the complete, unedited output of qmail-showctl
    to the qmail mailing list, along with a clear description of what is
    happening.

    --joshua.