Re: Relay control in qmail

From: Chris Ess (securityfocus_at_cae.tokimi.net)
Date: 11/04/03

    Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:02:10 -0500 (EST)
    To: Prashant <prashanta@eapglobal.com>

    > I had configure qmail,qmailpopd and vpopmail on redhat8, when i tested for
    > relaying using telnet on 25 port ,it was +ve.its is allowing relaying.
    >
    > i tried to run using the qmail douments but couldnt get any info how to stop
    > the relaying apart from my virtual domains

    How are you testing this? Are you doing a telnet to localhost/127.0.0.1
    or are you trying to connect to the machine externally?

    If you're doing this over localhost/127.0.0.1, I believe this is to be
    expected but I'm not wholly sure.

    If you're doing the telnet test from another machine, I'm not sure. None
    of my qmail installs have ever had this issue. When you installed qmail,
    did you run the ./config or ./config-fast scripts?

    That said, I have seen open relay behavior for qmail when
    /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts does not exist. If this file does not exist,
    I suggest creating it. A quick way to do this would be:

    cut -d: -f1 < /var/qmail/control/virthosts > /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts

    And then restart qmail and its services. (You may just need to restart
    qmail-smtp, but better safe than sorry sometimes.)

    I hope this helps...

    Of course, I could be way off the mark too.

    Sincerely,

    Chris Ess
    System Administrator / CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)