Re: AntiVirus for Red Hat 9?

From: Devdas Bhagat (devdas_at_dvb.homelinux.org)
Date: 10/27/03

    Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 03:43:58 +0530
    To: Thiago Lima <thiagolima@webforce.com.br>

    On 27/10/03 17:20 -0200, Thiago Lima wrote:

    > Is virus updates FASTER than Sophos or Trend Micro ?
    The issue of getting newer signatures.

    > Os just the 'update' operation? If there's no new virus signatures the
    > update should be very fast. :)
    Not the update operation. If there are no updates, there is no download.
    This testing is done via MD5 sum checks of the signature file.

    > As far I can see, Trend micro get new virus signatures everyday, and
    > clam does not. I belive that clam only catches the *BIG* Virus from the
    > internet.
    Clam gets the newer ones. Older ones will run through it. However, on a
    mail server, I would not really be concerned about an ancient DOS virus
    which only affects Win 9x systems (you aren't running those, right?).
    Clam does not clean the viruses out, but you can quarantine based on
    its findings.
    If you find a virus, please feel free to contibute a signature to the
    clam database :).

    Running a different antivirus on the client system helps, as does
    running a system which doesn't care about all those pesky Windows
    viruses. Defense in depth is a Good Thing.

    Devdas Bhagat

    • Re: Windows Firewall Has A Backdoor
      ... have signatures this does not apply since they DO detect these ... >you don't want to run servers, ... Got a virus? ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Windows Firewall Has A Backdoor
      ... have signatures this does not apply since they DO detect these ... >you don't want to run servers, ... Got a virus? ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: SUPER HIDDEN FILES PROBLEM
      ... 7's scanning engines with the most recent signatures. ... the viruses were causing have stopped (IE and msconfig closing by ... I figured the virus must have modified a registry key ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.registry)
    • Re: Windows Firewall Has A Backdoor
      ... > MS04-011 the personal firewall detect traffic attempting to exploit ... Signatures are signatures. ... If you change the footprint of a virus the virus scanner won't recognize ... If you change the footprint of your traffic your PFW won't ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)