RE: Linux and firewall load balancing

From: John Kunkel (jkunkel_at_verite.com)
Date: 09/23/03

    To: "Keith T. Morgan" <keith.morgan@terradon.com>, <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:12:23 -0600

    Hello Keith,

    There is an option for load balancing in linux. I currently use Keepalived, over the top of a kernel mod called IPVS.
    You can find info about IPVS at the following URL:

    http://ipvs.sourceforge.net/

    I am using the Direct Routing approach.

    Keepalived is a utility that loads a config file and then passes commands to the IPVS system to perform load balancing.
    You can find more info about Keepalived at the following URL:

    http://keepalived.sourceforge.net/

    Good luck and and enjoy.

    John Kunkel
    Vérité
    http://www.verite.com
    DVD * CD * Web * Print * Film * Sound
    Phone: 801.553.1101 x 108
    Fax: 801.553.1215
    jkunkel@verite.com

    Check out Vérité eTools at http://www.verite.com/etools/

    • Re: Quick Routing Question
      ... > I believe that everything has already been set up for load balancing. ... > default route IP. ... Not likely to be robust between restarts because of the way Linux ... complete documentation/info re: 2.6 kernel. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Load balancing between two WAN gateways
      ... service to our LANs, we have thought about placing a router on our ISP ... load balancing between the 2 Internet connections, ... able to monitor there traffic from Linux and more, ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • RE: [patch 0/2] fix perf. bug in wake-up load balancing for aim7 and db workload
      ... Some workload like aim7 relies on CPU load balancing action in the ... typically a good opportunity for kernel to perform CPU load balance ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: 2.6.16-rc5-mm1 -- strange load balancing problems
      ... I'm seeing some strange load balancing problems with this kernel. ... I don't think that they're due to the smpnice patches as I've applied them on a standard 2.6.15-rc5 kernel and the problem doesn't happen there. ... What I'm finding is that when I start several copies of aspin load balancing goes as expected but when I launch several copies of gsmiley they all go to the one CPU and stick there like glue. ... I'll resume this effort tomorrow but I thought that I should report the problem so that others could comment. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Internet connection issue
      ... So is there anyway for me to make LInux do some sort of background ... Check the other workstations for their settings ... use DNS settings on the router that are absolutely concrete) ...
      (Ubuntu)