RE: Linux and firewall load balancing

From: John Kunkel (jkunkel_at_verite.com)
Date: 09/23/03

    To: "Keith T. Morgan" <keith.morgan@terradon.com>, <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:12:23 -0600

    Hello Keith,

    There is an option for load balancing in linux. I currently use Keepalived, over the top of a kernel mod called IPVS.
    You can find info about IPVS at the following URL:

    http://ipvs.sourceforge.net/

    I am using the Direct Routing approach.

    Keepalived is a utility that loads a config file and then passes commands to the IPVS system to perform load balancing.
    You can find more info about Keepalived at the following URL:

    http://keepalived.sourceforge.net/

    Good luck and and enjoy.

    John Kunkel
    Vérité
    http://www.verite.com
    DVD * CD * Web * Print * Film * Sound
    Phone: 801.553.1101 x 108
    Fax: 801.553.1215
    jkunkel@verite.com

    Check out Vérité eTools at http://www.verite.com/etools/

    • Re: Quick Routing Question
      ... > I believe that everything has already been set up for load balancing. ... > default route IP. ... Not likely to be robust between restarts because of the way Linux ... complete documentation/info re: 2.6 kernel. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Load balancing between two WAN gateways
      ... service to our LANs, we have thought about placing a router on our ISP ... load balancing between the 2 Internet connections, ... able to monitor there traffic from Linux and more, ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • RE: [patch 0/2] fix perf. bug in wake-up load balancing for aim7 and db workload
      ... Some workload like aim7 relies on CPU load balancing action in the ... typically a good opportunity for kernel to perform CPU load balance ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • RE: [patch 0/2] fix perf. bug in wake-up load balancing for aim7 and db workload
      ... Some workload like aim7 relies on CPU load balancing action in the ... typically a good opportunity for kernel to perform CPU load balance ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: 2.6.16-rc5-mm1 -- strange load balancing problems
      ... I'm seeing some strange load balancing problems with this kernel. ... I don't think that they're due to the smpnice patches as I've applied them on a standard 2.6.15-rc5 kernel and the problem doesn't happen there. ... What I'm finding is that when I start several copies of aspin load balancing goes as expected but when I launch several copies of gsmiley they all go to the one CPU and stick there like glue. ... I'll resume this effort tomorrow but I thought that I should report the problem so that others could comment. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)