Re: deny deleting a file for users

From: Godwin Stewart (gstewart_at_spamcop.net)
Date: 06/03/03

    Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:36:01 +0200
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    And Thus Spake terry white <twhite@aniota.com> (on Sat, 31 May 2003 15:47:17
    -0700 (PDT)):

    > ... "removing parts of this file or append text" is in opposition to 'not
    > being able to delete a file'. because, they all require 'write'
    > permission.

    Actually, one can exist without the other.

    If user A has write permissions on the DIRECTORY containing file B, but not
    on the file itself, then the user can DELETE the file but not modify it.

    OTOH, if user A does NOT have write permission to the directory, then they
    CANNOT delete (nor create) files in the directory. All you have to do is
    make sure there is a null-length file already in the directory, and the user
    will be able to read/write it (provided it has the right permissions) but
    NOT delete it.

    --
    G. Stewart   --   gstewart@bonivet.net -- gstewart@spamcop.net
    Registered Linux user #284683

    • Re: BASICcalc
      ... containing the permission or the contract ... a file called COPYING, or similar, et cetera et cetera. ... cup that doesn't say "caution this is hot stupid", someone might sue you ... because of a bug in my program, then of course I will accept my share of the ...
      (comp.programming)
    • Re: Kernel 3.14.x bug? rm, mv root-owned files
      ... There is no bug there. ... You have write permission to the /tmp/testing directory. ... Therefore you can modify the directory. ... For example as your tst1 user try to ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: How to calculate the percentage of each character in a text file?
      ... I was going to say that I noticed a bug in a portion of my code ... whether it would be a bug or not would depend upon the specifications, ... "It is important to remember that when it comes to law, computers ... Only people can be given permission." ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: Question about FileDialog Permission
      ... > there was a bug in the previous versions of the .NET Framework that ... > bug has been identified and is now fixed. ... >> I also created a Permission set where I gave all permissions except ... >> that I created and also I made the code group exclusive by checking ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
    • Re: Unified getcwd() implementation
      ... The fact that the present implementation is inconsistent is a bug. ... user lacks search permission to some ancestor directory. ... I'm in support of the idea of unifying our getcwd ...
      (freebsd-current)