Re: Linux firewall/IDS/NAT suggestions

From: Mark Hazell (nutts_at_penguinmail.com)
Date: 06/02/03

    Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 23:38:58 +0100
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    On Fri, 30 May 2003 09:54:37 -0600 Petty, typed:

    > I want to setup a Linux firewall for a small network of 15 machines
    > connected live to the internet via broadband. I don't want to put
    > something in place that has a glaring hole I don't know about that
    > makes the installation more insecure with a false sense of security.

    Hi,

    Why not try a distribution of Linux that is just meant specifically to
    do the job of being a firewall/gateway. I use IPCop (www.ipcop.org) for
    this purpose.
    The latest version (1.3) uses a 2.4 kernel with iptables, and has Snort
    IDS, squid proxy server, ssh remote access, port forwarding and VPN
    support, all configurable through a web interface, and each part can be
    disabled depending what you want running.

    Fantastic bit of kit, and they release patches/security updates ASAP
    when vulnerabilities are discovered.

    Cheers,
    Mark.

    • Re: your tax $s at work: High Speed for the Sparsely Wired
      ... about 100 years ago states and the Feds were busy appropriating money to build concrete highways in rural areas so that the new fangled horseless carriage could go into remote areas. ... Internet access, the program will bring more fundamental changes, ... expanding the health care options, for example, to allow doctors ... vice president for broadband services at GCI Communication ...
      (soc.retirement)
    • Free American Broadband! (Long)
      ... Free American broadband! ... In France, you can get super-fast DSL, unlimited phone service and 100 TV ... Most Japanese consumers can get an Internet connection ... Canada and Hong Kong all have much faster Internet ...
      (alt.2600)
    • Oh joy!!
      ... broadband connections, and more of their population connected to them. ... What's less clear is how badly the country that gave birth to the Internet ... The inventory wouldn't cover other countries, but a cursory look shows the ... the U.S.'s three largest Internet service providers ...
      (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
    • Black Muslim Hussein bin Buckwheat-Obama To Give Free Broadband and PCs to Unemployed Urban Negr
      ... Bringing Broadband to the Urban Poor ... Anthony Celestine was a latecomer to the Internet Age. ... $240 million nonprofit community development organization ... computer and Internet connection thanks to the efforts of other ...
      (alt.politics)
    • > Obama To Give Free Broadband and PCs to Unemployed Urban Negros!