Re: IPChains Question (compatibility mode on kernel 2.4.x)

From: Sebastian Muniz (seba_at_mtss.dnsalias.org)
Date: 05/13/03

    Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 21:17:00 -0500
    To: Bill Tihen <bill@tasis.ch>

    Hi!
    You are missing the point.

    ddp 37 DDP # Datagram Delivery Protocol
    Seems you are trying to block ddp, that is a protocol that runs
    _over_ tcp or udp
    Firewall can decide on the port but examining
    the port source/address of tcp and udp.
    For instance if you want to deny or accept ddp you should block/accept
    tcp/udp arriving on port 37.
    Byes!

    El dia Fri, 9 May 2003 13:50:45 +0200 (CEST) Bill Tihen <bill@tasis.ch> me decia que :

    ----

    | Applying ipchains firewall rules: /sbin/ipchains: can only specify ports for
    | icmp, tcp or udp
    | Try `/sbin/ipchains -h' or '/sbin/ipchains --help' for more information.
    | ipchains command -A input -i eth0 -p ddp --dport rtmp -j ACCEPT failed
    | This is /sbin/ipchains-restore v1.1.2
    | Any ideas on what I could do to fix this?
    Replace -p ddp by tcp or udp

    -----
    --
    Sebirrintintin
    ICQ 72585865

    • Re: Open port PIX 501
      ... :i can't open the port in my PIX. ... :I need open the port 1000 to point to the IP 10.254.254.222. ... in practice only DNS servers doing zone transfers need tcp. ... of UDP, it would be a highly unusual client which did not stick ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: UDP question
      ... Re: UDP question.eml ... >>> Most modern services utilise TCP, ... The only open port should be the port I use for Open VPN, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Re[5]: Assymetric NIC performance problem
      ... I've got a FreeBSD file server running Samba, file upload speeds are okay, ... Client connecting to 192.168.0.1, TCP port 5001 ... Sorry, I didn't know that UDP bandwidth must be specified manually, ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • RE: DNS Records
      ... tcp>1023 53 Client queries with long replies ... On other client types, ... if you lock down all but port ... a client queries an initial server from an unreserved port number to UDP ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Windows Update Scrammed My Server
      ... The Simple TCP/IP Services could not find the TCP Echo port. ... The Simple TCP/IP Services could not find the UDP Echo port. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)