RE: Red Hat: To patch or to upgrade?

From: Chapman, Justin T (JtChapma@bhi-erc.com)
Date: 04/10/03

    From: "Chapman, Justin T" <JtChapma@bhi-erc.com>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:15:10 -0700

    Actually, when manually upgrading a kernel with rpm, you should always use
    "rpm -i" (install), instead of "rpm -U" (upgrade). Using the -i flag will
    install the new kernel along side the existing one, which is what up2date
    does. If there are stability issues with the new kernel, it's easy to
    revert back to the previous one by editing you bootloader config files.
    Once you've verified that the new kernel is working properly, you can
    uninstall the old version by doing the standard "rpm -e kernel-old-version".

    --justin

    grep -i "meaning of life" /dev/random