RE: Red Hat: To patch or to upgrade?

From: Chapman, Justin T (JtChapma@bhi-erc.com)
Date: 04/10/03

    From: "Chapman, Justin T" <JtChapma@bhi-erc.com>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:15:10 -0700

    Actually, when manually upgrading a kernel with rpm, you should always use
    "rpm -i" (install), instead of "rpm -U" (upgrade). Using the -i flag will
    install the new kernel along side the existing one, which is what up2date
    does. If there are stability issues with the new kernel, it's easy to
    revert back to the previous one by editing you bootloader config files.
    Once you've verified that the new kernel is working properly, you can
    uninstall the old version by doing the standard "rpm -e kernel-old-version".

    --justin

    grep -i "meaning of life" /dev/random

    >I have done kernel updates on my RH 7.3 box several times.
    >
    >up2date --force kernel
    >
    >All it does it download the kernel and install it with
    >
    >rpm -Uvh kernel-whatever.
    >
    >Just like on the command line. Nothing special.

    • SUSE Security Announcement: Linux Kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:001)
      ... installable through rpm, because of a bug in RPM (update of ... the kernel source is not ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • [Full-Disclosure] SUSE Security Announcement: Linux Kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:001)
      ... installable through rpm, because of a bug in RPM (update of ... the kernel source is not ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: EL4 ES kernel recompile
      ... We need to build the source rpm to get the sources. ... Install kernel-.src.rpm (given the default RPM configuration, ... the kernel tree will be located ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: Is Linux always this slow?
      ... but since I use command-line rpm all the time this does not bother me ... Installing a new kernel is really easy. ... modules_install; make install', ... you are lucky, you get a nice kernel RPM you can install just like any ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • SUSE Security Announcement: kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:010)
      ... The update packages for the SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 7 ... contain any binary kernel in bootable form. ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
      (Bugtraq)