Re Live Upgrade for Linux

From: Vahram Igityan (vahram@barsmedia.am)
Date: 04/10/03

    Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:01:18 +0400
    From: Vahram Igityan <vahram@barsmedia.am>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    ...skip....
    ABeg> That's an interesting point. What about the Linux distributions using
    ABeg> ports like *BSD, e.g. Gentoo, Crux or Rock Linux? Do they have
    ABeg> something similar?

    As i know only Slackware have CVSup like FreeBSD, hovever the problem
    is why we can't do desired upgrade of system on Linux boxes is that
    nobody of distributors, want's to seperate "base system" and "portated
    software" (e.g. RedHat have base-system.rpm but it's a dummy package,
    probably they create it for future purposes),
    FreeBSD've done it long years ago.
    but instead we have powerful packet managment system like "rpm", or
    "apt".

    Please no flames like Linux vs FreeBSD, it's just my opinion.