Re Live Upgrade for Linux

From: Vahram Igityan (vahram@barsmedia.am)
Date: 04/10/03

    Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:01:18 +0400
    From: Vahram Igityan <vahram@barsmedia.am>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    ...skip....
    ABeg> That's an interesting point. What about the Linux distributions using
    ABeg> ports like *BSD, e.g. Gentoo, Crux or Rock Linux? Do they have
    ABeg> something similar?

    As i know only Slackware have CVSup like FreeBSD, hovever the problem
    is why we can't do desired upgrade of system on Linux boxes is that
    nobody of distributors, want's to seperate "base system" and "portated
    software" (e.g. RedHat have base-system.rpm but it's a dummy package,
    probably they create it for future purposes),
    FreeBSD've done it long years ago.
    but instead we have powerful packet managment system like "rpm", or
    "apt".

    Please no flames like Linux vs FreeBSD, it's just my opinion.

    • Re: FreeBSD & Linux distro
      ... I can't run Linux software on FreeBSD? ... "Linux" is technically the name of an OS kernel. ... Various Linux distributions include different lineups of default basic ... FreeBSD documentation is some of the best OS documentation in the ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: FreeBSD & Linux distro
      ... I can't run Linux software on FreeBSD? ... "Linux" is technically the name of an OS kernel. ... Various Linux distributions include different lineups of default basic ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Is FreeBSD ready for desktop (Mozilla Flash)
      ... > I find this discussion fascinating as I had thought that FreeBSD was ... Did it ever work for Linux or for Windows? ... And as for flash, it's just the same PITA to get it running on Linux. ... On many Linux distributions you can't even play MP3 files because of ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: Linux "equivalent" to freebsd
      ... We've been using Freebsd for many years and all of our servers are ... So I will need to setup a machine with linux. ... I don't know much about linux distributions, ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: pdflatex and FreeBSD: tex capacity exceeded (poll size =....) :-((
      ... between your TeX installations -- the configuration of TeX might be ... with longer file names on the FreeBSD system. ... Compare the file texmf.cnf from your FreeBSD and Linux distributions, ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)