Re: Red Hat: To patch or to upgrade?

From: Augis (ejs@delfi.lt)
Date: 04/04/03

    Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 23:22:58 +0200 (EET)
    From: Augis <ejs@delfi.lt>
    To: Mat Price <mprice@avici.com>

    [Tue, 1 Apr 2003], <Mat Price> :

    > What I have done in the past is make a directory on a ftp server with
    > all update rpms except the kernel rpms. Then I ran a script on the
    > clients that would check the version of redhat it was running on, then
    > download the correct rpms. Once they where on the machine it did a rpm
    > -Fvh *.rpm. This Freshen's/upgrades only the rpms you have installed.

    you could also do `rpm -Fvh [ftp|http]://...`.
    Possibly without any script ;)

    > If I needed the kernel upgrade I
    > would do it by hand and do a rpm -ivh <rpmfile> then edit grub.conf to
    > point to the new kernal as the default.

    Strange. I had no trouble after updating kernel via rpm (well, not
    up2date) on RH 7.0-7.3 boxes.
    It changes grub.conf accordingly and everything i need to do is
    reboot afterwards.

    > The other thing you could do is mount it
    > over nfs if the clients have small drives or use sftp if you want to do
    > it in a secure way.

    Should you care about this kind of security, if you have internal FTP? I
    hope i heed just to check GPG signature?

    --
    ejs

    • Re: Some thoughts about Fedora Core 1 packages upgrade
      ... > upgrade hundreds of clients through Internet(big burden on Internet ... > building options, we have to download source RPMs as well, so there ... i'd recommend the apt-mirror script to be run once a day, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: [opensuse] Local cache of updates, installed programs in openSUSE
      ... you will be able to do your install from the set of rpms you have saved in the ... In the zyppmerge.dev script look at line 97, 117, 203, etc. at the use of the ... local repository is the same box as your update server. ... updates in the process, will the new local repository start with the ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [opensuse] Script to move old versions of rpms from local repository
      ... for all updates so that I would have a local repository for the ... I needed a way to parse through the local repository and ... without having to reinvent the wheel, I've attached the script. ... you moved all your rpms to a directory such that they all have the ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Re:Bandwidth Monitor
      ... >>Thanks for your suggesstion, I downloaded the mrtg script, I also ... >>installed all the modules perfectly...as I got rpms from the net, ... >>when I run the script I get this error.... ... >On that web page there are instructions on modifying your mrtg.cfg file ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: confHELO_NAME
      ... issue for whomever might be maintaining the server if I leave this site. ... I have a script that I just point at the Sendmail ... you can even make your own RPMs. ...
      (comp.mail.sendmail)