Re: Live Upgrade for Linux

From: James F. Wilkus (tflat@astrocreep.net)
Date: 04/02/03

    Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 21:33:57 -0500
    From: "James F. Wilkus" <tflat@astrocreep.net>
    To: Kelly Sauke <ksauke@fastenal.com>

    On 03/25 14:20, Kelly Sauke wrote:

    > Maybe I need a little clarification of what Live Upgrade does. I've
    > gotten a lot of response of what I would call installer utilities
    > but not a Live Upgrade (if I'm wrong please point it out to
    > me). What Live Upgrade does under solaris is it creates a complete
    > alternate boot environment with a root /usr /var and any other
    > filesystem you want. Then you can apply patches etc to this other
    > boot environment and boot off of that. If there is something in the
    > patch that doesn't work or screws up the machine, then you just
    > reboot off the original boot environment and you're back to where
    > you were before upgrading and still have access to the patched boot
    > environment to fix it. Its great for upgrading production type
    > servers because the 'back out plan' if you will is nothing more than
    > reboot off the old boot environment. In other words you have 2 /
    > filesystems, 2 /usr's, 2 /var's as well as 2 kernels. Its a
    > complete boot environment copy that you can do anything to and then
    > just reboot off the new environment without having to touch the
    > 'live' environment.

      I think most of the people that have responded to this thread have
      missed the point. Yea, rpm, apt, portage, blah, blah are good
      package management utilities, but we are talking apples and oranges
      (or chalk and cheese :) ). LIve Upgrade gives you a backout plan,
      which rpm, apt, et al, do not. Sun did not release LU to replace
      the pkg* commands.

      apt, for instance, does not allow you to downgrade. I tried this in
      the past, and found that it wont work, please correct me if I am
      wrong.

      What happens after you run apt-get distupgrade and everything is
      hosed? Recover from backups of course, but this can be time
      consuming, especially if you need to reinstall the OS beforehand.

      I have used SystemImager [1] and I think this would give you more
      Live Upgrade type utility. You would be able to create your
      updated OS on a separate machine, then create an image. You can
      have multiple images, so you could easily revert back, voila
      instant backout plan. Granted, this will not give you parallel
      installations on the machine, but this, IMHO, gives you the ability
      to revert the known good state as fast as you can reimage the
      system.

      -James

      Relavent links:

      [1] http://www.systemimager.org/

    --
    <t f l a t @ a s t r o c r e e p . n e t>
    (http://)?(www\.)?astrocreep\.net

      ... Zones are zfs FS but I can login but nothing is mounted. ... Install the Solaris Live Upgrade packages from the CD. ... Create and populate the new Boot Environment: ... cannot create new boot environment using file systems as configured ...
      (SunManagers)
    • Live Upgrade and Solaris Disk Suite with a RAID-1
      ... I'm having some trouble with Live Upgrade on Solaris 6/06. ... I've read all instructions in Solaris 10 6/06 Installation Guide: ... Discovering physical storage devices ... Cross referencing storage devices with boot environment configurations ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Live Upgrade on Solaris 10 6/06 with SDS
      ... I'm having some trouble with Live Upgrade on Solaris 10 6/06. ... I've read all instructions in Solaris 10 6/06 Installation Guide: ... Discovering physical storage devices ... Cross referencing storage devices with boot environment ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Need help with Live Upgrade, S-10, update 3 to update 6
      ... partitioning the data3 into 2 or 3 file systems and then creating ... This machine happens to have an existing Boot Environment which ... Is there any way to do a Live Upgrade on this system? ... or do I have to do a fresh install of Sol 10 Update 6? ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: Need help with Live Upgrade, S-10, update 3 to update 6
      ... partitioning the data3 into 2 or 3 file systems and then creating ... This machine happens to have an existing Boot Environment which ... boot environment name: s10 ... Is there any way to do a Live Upgrade on this system? ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)