Red Hat: To patch or to upgrade?

From: Mat Price (mprice@avici.com)
Date: 04/02/03

    Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 20:44:19 -0500
    From: Mat Price <mprice@avici.com>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    What I have done in the past is make a directory on a ftp server with
    all update rpms except the kernel rpms. Then I ran a script on the
    clients that would check the version of redhat it was running on, then
    download the correct rpms. Once they where on the machine it did a rpm
    -Fvh *.rpm. This Freshen's/upgrades only the rpms you have installed.
    Then the the script would clean up after it's self. I didn't do the
    kernel since it always went badly. If I needed the kernel upgrade I
    would do it by hand and do a rpm -ivh <rpmfile> then edit grub.conf to
    point to the new kernal as the default. If you have only a few machine
    writing the script may be over kill. I wish I still had it but the
    project got lost a while back. The other thing you could do is mount it
    over nfs if the clients have small drives or use sftp if you want to do
    it in a secure way.

    mat

    • Re: Some thoughts about Fedora Core 1 packages upgrade
      ... > upgrade hundreds of clients through Internet(big burden on Internet ... > building options, we have to download source RPMs as well, so there ... i'd recommend the apt-mirror script to be run once a day, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Ping CentOS users + ranting
      ... Xen dom0 support is only available in vanilla Linux as of 2.6.30 on - ... As far as I know, Suse had a 2.6.27 kernel with the Xen patches, the ... but don't have time to maintain a kernel RPMs ... Windows - and in some versions, it really did - than KDE does, and I ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: [Cbe-oss-dev] LIO Target iSCSI/SE PS3-Linux / FC8 builds
      ... I put the following RPMs that iscsi userspace tools rpms ... You can generate the kernel RPM with 'make kernel ARCH=powerpc'. ... This modules are built for ppc64 and built with the toolkit for Fedora Core ... This module package should work with kernel-2.6.24-20080131.ppc64.rpm from ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: FC5 ipw3945 problem on laptop
      ... ;> re-installing the kernel. ... ;> Now I have tried installing from RPMs. ... ;packages available from ATrpms. ... install the ipw3945 module for your kernel (yum will take care ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: What do these rpms do?
      ... Kevin Fenzi wrote: ... I was able to look inside two of the three rpms -- although ... >> This package provides the wl kernel modules built for ... >> Metapackage which tracks in wl kernel module for newest kernel ...
      (Fedora)