Re: Live Upgrade for Linux

From: Daniel Wittenberg (daniel-wittenberg@uiowa.edu)
Date: 04/02/03

    From: Daniel Wittenberg <daniel-wittenberg@uiowa.edu>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: 01 Apr 2003 16:32:11 -0600

    On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 23:29, J C Lawrence wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:33:04 -0600
    > Dan Freed <dfreed@epicsystems.com> wrote:
    >
    > > What about apt-get for rpms?
    >
    > RPM doesn't encode sufficient dependency data to support the sort of
    > automatic dependency and conflict resolution that make Debian so
    > attractive, and arguably a pkg mgmt system should have

    But apt-get (or apt-rpm) works great with RPM. There are things I like
    about rpm and about apt, so with apt-rpm you get the best of both
    worlds.

    Dan

    • Re: Guess whos right behind Ubuntu at Distrowatch
      ... Does it use rpm as the back end? ... It uses apt-rpm in Fedora. ... And if I use synaptic do I still get to use yum on the command ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: problem with Open office and Suse 9.0 installation
      ... > | Conflict Resolution: ... > | Unresolved Requirements: ... create a new rpm with this capability. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: kde 3.5.8 for fc6?
      ... You're comparing apples and oranges here. ... it can actually be used with RPM too (see apt-rpm). ... But the point I was trying to make is that Ubuntu is not based on rpm ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Guess whos right behind Ubuntu at Distrowatch
      ... Does it use rpm as the back end? ... dpkg/apt-get front end. ... It uses apt-rpm in Fedora. ... Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: kde 3.5.8 for fc6?
      ... You're comparing apples and oranges here. ... it can actually be used with RPM too (see apt-rpm). ... What Ubuntu is using ...
      (Fedora)