Re: Live Upgrade for Linux

From: sflinux@erd.erd3.com
Date: 03/26/03

    Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:35:47 -0600 (CST)
    From: <sflinux@erd.erd3.com>
    To: Kelly Sauke <ksauke@fastenal.com>

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Kelly Sauke wrote:

    > Maybe I need a little clarification of what Live Upgrade does. I've
    > gotten a lot of response of what I would call installer utilities but
    > not a Live Upgrade (if I'm wrong please point it out to me). What Live
    > Upgrade does under solaris is it creates a complete alternate boot
    > environment with a root /usr /var and any other filesystem you want.
    > Then you can apply patches etc to this other boot environment and boot
    > off of that. If there is something in the patch that doesn't work or
    > screws up the machine, then you just reboot off the original boot
    > environment and you're back to where you were before upgrading and still
    > have access to the patched boot environment to fix it. Its great for

    AFAIK, there is not a package that automates this the way that 'live
    upgrade' does. However, you can do this manualy with rpm and the '--root'
    option. Of course you still have to have the extra partitions to create
    your alternat environment in. Once you have copied the files over to the
    new partitions and modified the /etc/fstab in the new root. You need to
    add an entry to grub/lilo with root=/dev/hdxx pointed at your new root
    partition so you can boot to it. Then you have the task of keeping the
    configuration information upto date in the alternate boot environment. I
    suppose that you could use tripwire or aide to help with this.

    This would be an intresting project to work on.

    HTH,
    Reece Dike