Re: Live Upgrade for Linux

From: sflinux@erd.erd3.com
Date: 03/26/03

    Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:35:47 -0600 (CST)
    From: <sflinux@erd.erd3.com>
    To: Kelly Sauke <ksauke@fastenal.com>

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Kelly Sauke wrote:

    > Maybe I need a little clarification of what Live Upgrade does. I've
    > gotten a lot of response of what I would call installer utilities but
    > not a Live Upgrade (if I'm wrong please point it out to me). What Live
    > Upgrade does under solaris is it creates a complete alternate boot
    > environment with a root /usr /var and any other filesystem you want.
    > Then you can apply patches etc to this other boot environment and boot
    > off of that. If there is something in the patch that doesn't work or
    > screws up the machine, then you just reboot off the original boot
    > environment and you're back to where you were before upgrading and still
    > have access to the patched boot environment to fix it. Its great for

    AFAIK, there is not a package that automates this the way that 'live
    upgrade' does. However, you can do this manualy with rpm and the '--root'
    option. Of course you still have to have the extra partitions to create
    your alternat environment in. Once you have copied the files over to the
    new partitions and modified the /etc/fstab in the new root. You need to
    add an entry to grub/lilo with root=/dev/hdxx pointed at your new root
    partition so you can boot to it. Then you have the task of keeping the
    configuration information upto date in the alternate boot environment. I
    suppose that you could use tripwire or aide to help with this.

    This would be an intresting project to work on.

    HTH,
    Reece Dike

    • SUMMARY: Live UPgrade of CD2 of 2?
      ... >The media is a standard Solaris media. ... >on the boot environment for the upgrade to be complete. ...
      (SunManagers)
    • luuupgrade from Solaris-10 11/06->08/07 on NIS+ master server
      ... I just did a live upgrade on our nis+ master server and ran into some ... The machine did not boot the new boot environment ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: formatting hard drive before reinstallation of xp pro
      ... delete all partitions and remake them and reformat them ... which you boot from. ... if your CD is an UPGRADE CD, you will need to have another CD ... If your only "qualifying product" is your current version ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Problems with luupgrade using Solaris 10 1/06 media
      ... I've been trying to get my V440 upgraded from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 ... The live upgrade process always fails on luupgrade command. ... Cross referencing storage devices with boot environment configurations ... Determining packages to install or upgrade for BE. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: mounting LVM partitions fails after etch upgrade
      ... RAID1 would not mount cleanly anymore after upgrade from sarge to ... disks, and found out what was wrong. ... > the first problem is that during boot, ... mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. ...
      (Debian-User)