Re: Live Upgrade for Linux

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@wirex.com)
Date: 03/26/03

    Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:11:46 -0800
    From: Seth Arnold <sarnold@wirex.com>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 02:20:27PM -0600, Kelly Sauke wrote:
    > What Live Upgrade does under solaris is it creates a complete
    > alternate boot environment with a root /usr /var and any other
    > filesystem you want. Then you can apply patches etc to this other
    > boot environment and boot off of that.

    Ahh! That's kindof a cool idea.

    When partitioning your hard drives, make duplicates of your "replicated"
    filesystems, and ask /etc/fstab to mount them under /testing/ in their
    normal ordering. Then, use either the packaging tool's --chroot option
    (I expect that all tools can be asked to use a chroot environment) or
    just use the chroot command to run them all within the little
    environment.

    Then, a few minutes with a text editor and /etc/lilo.conf,
    /etc/grub.conf, /etc/yaboot.conf, whatever, and you're good to go. (A
    small script to modify/replace /etc/fstab would probably help smooth the
    process along.)

    :)

    --
    http://sardonix.org/

    • Re: fsckd
      ... filesystem errors on boot, with the "hit control-D to continue or give root ... to fix the errors with fsck. ... filesystem and inability to reboot. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: fsckd - FIXED
      ... filesystem errors on boot, with the "hit control-D to continue or give root ... to fix the errors with fsck. ... filesystem and inability to reboot. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Strange case of root filesystem corruption
      ... Yesterday GRUB would suddenly not display the boot menu anymore. ... Looking at filesystems on the disk with the free ufs2tools program, ... Subfolders of / on the same filesystem are affected as well. ... sectors/track: 63 ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Cant run WINCE from a flash drive on my AMD M/B
      ... SECTION/END HIVE BOOT SECTION in your registry, ... bootable filesystem, so it won't boot. ... Initializing Memory Mapped File Support ... FS: Creating signal event SYSTEM/DevMgrApiSetReady ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
    • Re: mounting LVM partitions fails after etch upgrade
      ... RAID1 would not mount cleanly anymore after upgrade from sarge to ... disks, and found out what was wrong. ... > the first problem is that during boot, ... mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. ...
      (Debian-User)