Re: Live Upgrade for Linux

From: Flavio Visentin (flavio.visentin@ags-it.com)
Date: 03/26/03

    From: Flavio Visentin <flavio.visentin@ags-it.com>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: 26 Mar 2003 19:11:03 +0100

    On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 20:41, Kelly Sauke wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any software for linux that acts similar to "Live
    > Upgrade" in Solaris or "Alternate Release Areas" in DG/UX?

    AFAIK there doesn't exist any similar software on Linux.

    A similar task could be accomplished, at least on Debian, creating a
    parallel chrooted environment (search for debootstrap) where to apply
    and try the patches and
    then replicating the upgrade on the original system.

    Try to look to UML (User Mode Linux) too. Maybe it can be useful since
    it allows to run a "virtual" instance of linux on linux itself.

    Byez

    --
    Flavio Visentin
    + My GPG Key is available at ldap://keyserv.di.unito.it.          +

    • Re: Difference?
      ... AFAIK, Wine can't do this,so you do need native Linux drivers for your hardware. ... AFAIK, they do use Wine technology, but they don't simply run Wine, but they implement a VST host in Linux and use some Wine stuff to load the VST DLLs an have them display their GUI. ...
      (comp.os.linux.embedded)
    • Re: good practise to run linux on mainframe
      ... I'm aware of single installation in Poland. ... Now they are using VM and Linux, however Linux came with "contemporary" machine (previous one was 4381 AFAIK). ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
    • Re: Eagle 5 Erfahrungsberichte?
      ... Linux). ... AFAIK verwendet EAGLE jetzt ... doch zum zeichnen OpenGL. ...
      (de.sci.electronics)
    • Re: HTPC CPU und Platte
      ... aber bei Linux sind AFAIK die Treiber für HD-Decodierung noch nicht ...
      (de.rec.film.heimkino)
    • Re: Red Hat 9.0 and Centrino
      ... Then i can't use Linux on a laptop with Centirno, ... I've seen www.kernel.org but it doesn't speak about this argument. ... > AFAIK the Linux Kernel cannot use Centrino CPUs. ... > Need help with Red Hat? ...
      (linux.redhat)