Re: Live Upgrade for Linux

From: Flavio Visentin (flavio.visentin@ags-it.com)
Date: 03/26/03

    From: Flavio Visentin <flavio.visentin@ags-it.com>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: 26 Mar 2003 19:11:03 +0100

    On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 20:41, Kelly Sauke wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any software for linux that acts similar to "Live
    > Upgrade" in Solaris or "Alternate Release Areas" in DG/UX?

    AFAIK there doesn't exist any similar software on Linux.

    A similar task could be accomplished, at least on Debian, creating a
    parallel chrooted environment (search for debootstrap) where to apply
    and try the patches and
    then replicating the upgrade on the original system.

    Try to look to UML (User Mode Linux) too. Maybe it can be useful since
    it allows to run a "virtual" instance of linux on linux itself.

    Byez

    --
    Flavio Visentin
    + My GPG Key is available at ldap://keyserv.di.unito.it.          +