Re: Live Upgrade for Linux

From: Shane Hickey (shane@howsyournetwork.com)
Date: 03/26/03

    From: Shane Hickey <shane@howsyournetwork.com>
    To: Seth Arnold <sarnold@wirex.com>
    Date: 26 Mar 2003 10:40:50 -0700

    On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 14:42, Seth Arnold wrote:
    > I don't know what "Live Upgrade" or "Alternate Release Areas" are, but I
    > _think_ you are talking about automatic updating tools.
    >
    > Debian's apt is tried and true.
    >
    > RedHat's up2date is newer, and seems to keep people happy.
    >
    > Mandrake has something, but I can't recall its name. upnrm or something.
    >
    > I bet SuSE's YAST2 has something similar.

    Don't forget about Gentoo's emerge.

    --
    Shane Hickey : Nerd
    http://www.nerddiary.org

    • Re: Problems with rpm database
      ... As you stated in your last e-mail in this thread that probably apt ... start over using up2date. ... up2date is actually a python wrapper that uses yum or apt to manage ... identify the repository to up2date and can be whatever you choose. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: apt as front-end to up2date
      ... substitute up2date for apt as tool used by the Red Hat Network Alert ... >> yum, apt, and RHN repos. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: up2date or apt?
      ... some major advantage of using up2date over apt. ... > I'm not familiar with apt, but one feature I found nice is the web interface ... > and schedule updates, and reboots, without ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: FAQs?
      ... > I seem to recall that one can reconfigure Up2Date to download from the Fedora ... instead of Up2date, use YUM or Apt. ... "Beyond the senses is the mind, and beyond the mind is the reason, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: up2date or apt?
      ... I use up2date on a regular basis to keep several systems up to date. ... The features you mention, updating critical parts and apps, while ... dependencies are all available through up2date. ... I'm not familiar with apt, but one feature I found nice is the web interface ...
      (RedHat)