Port 113 security

From: Chris Santerre (csanterre@MerchantsOverseas.com)
Date: 03/06/03

    From: Chris Santerre <csanterre@MerchantsOverseas.com>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:07:06 -0500

    Hey all!

    Currently I block port 113 (ident) on the firewall. I block everything and
    pick and choose what to let in. Never got around to letting this in :)
    Anyway, I have about 6-7 in.identd processes running all the time from
    failed ident attempts. Nothing big really. System is working great. Logs get
    filled a little much with DENY messages.

    So does evryone generally let these thru? Any exploits? is there a way to
    get rid of those in.identd processes if I leave it blocked?

    Thanks,

    Chris
    System Admin
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy
    Wonka