Re: Perl administration for Linux fileserver

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@wirex.com)
Date: 02/06/03

    Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:08:08 -0800
    From: Seth Arnold <sarnold@wirex.com>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 05:29:32PM +0100, Jos Kirps|EducDesign wrote:
    > I would like to set up a Linux based file server accessible for Linux,
    > Windows and Mac clients. The administration shall be done remotely
    > (web based GUI on a client machine) using Perl scripts. The Perl
    > scripts must be able to:
    >
    > - add and remove directories on the server (that's not the problem)
    > - add and remove users (username & password -> problem)
    > - set access rights for the created directories (-> also a problem)

    There are several free and several commercial products which do these
    things. Try to avoid re-inventing the wheel if you can.

    > - To add users that shall be able to access the fileserver, do I have to
    > create 'real' unix user accounts, or can I use something like the
    > '.htaccess' users as used by Apache (users in .htaccess files can
    > only access web directories via Apache, they don't have any other
    > rights on the server). I would prefer such a solution to limit what
    > people with a fileserver account can do on the server.

    web_dav and .htaccess mechanisms can be used to give per-user access to
    files hosted on a web server.

    > - How can I tell my Linux box that only certain users shall have
    > access to a certain directory? Can I do this using something
    > similar to '.htaccess' / '.htpasswd' ? Or what services do I have
    > to use?

    If your users have actual accounts, you'll need to use either an ACLs
    patch to your kernel, or use standard UNIX permissions. Check out
    /etc/groups for an idea of what is involved.

    --
    "In God we trust, all others we monitor."
     -- NSA, Intercept Operators's motto, 1970

    Relevant Pages