Re: openSSL Key generation

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@wirex.com)
Date: 02/06/03

    Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:01:17 -0800
    From: Seth Arnold <sarnold@wirex.com>
    To: "Leland T. Snyder" <ltsnyder@x3ci.com>

    On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 12:05:44AM -0500, Leland T. Snyder wrote:
    > [root@basea1 tmp]# nohup time /usr/bin/openssl genrsa -rand /dev/urandom
    > 1024 > /tmp/server.key &
    >
    > While the manual says this might take a long time, it has been running all
    > night, are athalon processors slow? or did I phrase my command incorrectly?
    > CPU time is being consumed like crazy.

    Remove the -rand /dev/urandom piece. I tried your command both with and
    without this option, and without it, it ran in under a few seconds on my
    p3 700mhz. (You wouldn't want to use /dev/urandom anyway, as it is
    providing 'fake' entropy; which is fine for _many_ tasks, but server
    keys should probably use the real thing..)

    --
    http://immunix.org/