Perl administration for Linux fileserver

From: Jos Kirps|EducDesign (jos.kirps@educdesign.lu)
Date: 02/03/03

    Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:29:32 +0100
    From: Jos Kirps|EducDesign <jos.kirps@educdesign.lu>
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    Hello everyone,

    I would like to set up a Linux based file server accessible for Linux,
    Windows and Mac clients. The administration shall be done remotely
    (web based GUI on a client machine) using Perl scripts. The Perl
    scripts must be able to:

    - add and remove directories on the server (that's not the problem)
    - add and remove users (username & password -> problem)
    - set access rights for the created directories (-> also a problem)

    My questions:

    - To add users that shall be able to access the fileserver, do I have to
    create 'real' unix user accounts, or can I use something like the
    '.htaccess' users as used by Apache (users in .htaccess files can
    only access web directories via Apache, they don't have any other
    rights on the server). I would prefer such a solution to limit what
    people with a fileserver account can do on the server.

    - How can I tell my Linux box that only certain users shall have
    access to a certain directory? Can I do this using something
    similar to '.htaccess' / '.htpasswd' ? Or what services do I have
    to use?

    - Do the scripts need root privileges to do all this, or is this
    feasable running as Apache CGI script?

    - And my last questions: are there any CPAN modules or something
    alike to help me realize such an administration tool - or - is there
    any freely available software capable of such things (should be
    Perl though).

    Best regards,
    Jos Kirps

    EducDesign S.A.
    Where Learning and Technology meet

    20, rue de l'Ecole, L-3233 Bettembourg
    Luxembourg (Europe)
    tel. +352 51 66 52
    fax. +352 52 26 76
    http://www.educdesign.lu
    info@educdesign.lu
    IT-Services
    Intranet-Internet Solutions & Multimedia
    Innovation Managment & Project Development
    Consulting, Training & Coaching in IT and Education

    Relevant Pages

    • Single-Sign-On unter Linux mit Active Directory
      ... Da das auf Dauer was die Administration angeht etwas aufwendig ist, haben wir uns entschieden die Passwörter für alle User der Domäne zentral auf dem W2k3 Server zu Administrieren. ... Die Linux-Server wurden mit Kerberos und OpenLdap ausgestattet. ... als WindowsMensch hab ich von Linux nicht wirklich viel Ahnung. ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.networking.misc)
    • Re: Chkdisk?
      ... I'm used to Windows and am kinda stuck doing Linux ... administration right now. ... Though you didn't mention the server's roll, a few of the things you'd ... Perhaps you'd like to tell us the exact distro that runs the server. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: Where to begin Linux Administration?
      ... > Next month I will be moving my dedicated server to another company. ... > things by my self to learn new things about Linux and Administration. ... > dont know which tool to use for that. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: Where to begin Linux Administration?
      ... I dont know why but my current server was fully configurated when i bought it. ... In addition to that, It came with Plesk, which is a very easy Interface for doing administration stuff. ... This time I would like to do things by my self to learn new things about Linux and Administration. ... For examlpe I know I have to do some stuff with DNS when I first get my server but I dont know which tool to use for that. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Selling LinuxCBT Redhat edition training cource .It is 75 hours/375 Videos on 10Cds training solut
      ... LinuxCBT is a unique and revolutionary approach to teaching the Linux ... outlets and other CBTs do not; real RedHat Linux skills! ... LinuxCBT includes both Client Management and Server Management ... Planning the installation - identify software, ...
      (linux.redhat)