Re: User?s and Shells

From: Nicole Nicholson (
Date: 12/27/02

    From: "Nicole Nicholson" <>
    Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 07:44:57 -0800

    Some other questions & thoughts on this subject...

    (1) What ever became of sudo? I remember it being plagued with some
    problems in the past. Has this become a reasonable alternative to give
    non-privileged users the ability to execute privileged commands?

    (2) CERT has source code for a "noshell" program for Solaris at:
    I'm sure it can ported relatively easily.

    (3) If you are REALLY serious about preventing privilege escalation, and
    don't mind a little kernel hacking, you probably also want to be aware of
    some of the "Trusted" OS projects.
    SE Linux (compliments of our tax dollars):
    and TrustedBSD:

    These are not to be taken lightly. They are still in development but pose
    an interesting solution to many of the core Unix security problems.