Re: User?s and Shells

From: Christian Hammers (ch@westend.com)
Date: 12/21/02

    Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 00:01:03 +0100
    From: Christian Hammers <ch@westend.com>
    To: Brian Hatch <focus-linux@ifokr.org>

    On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 02:16:18PM -0800, Brian Hatch wrote:
    > > * But, on the other hand, I can have a
    > > su news -c /usr/local/script_running_as_user_news.sh
    >
    > How do you want to disable that? Only root can run su as another
    > user if the password is locked.

    Misunderstanding: If you set the shell to /bin/false or similar, then
    I tought that even root cannot use the command above as it would fail
    with: "No shell". But there's a "--shell" parameter for su...

    bye,

    -christian-

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Apple recommending anti-virus software for Macs?
      ... > To be ultra-safe with the 'rm' command, ... Not a bad idea for root, It would drive me nuts in my user account. ... downloads directory and executing it. ... That I type an EOF is a trivial difference versus 'sudo' exiting ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: [ squeeze ] Grub2 RAID1 LVM2 boot failure
      ... insmod mdraid ... That UUID it's not the same that grub will use for boot. ... the `root` partition from the point of view of grub is the partition ... BTW this command is undocummented in the wiki, ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: [opensuse] su - -c $command user ???
      ... I'd like to calculate a command-string as root and pass it with su ... into the context of a unprivileged user to run the command not as ... Basically I need to know $d after the daemonuser created and filled ... Note the echo isn't really going to be a fully valuable ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: System-users and-groups?
      ... bin shouldn't do so much. ... was root and bin... ... Although the daemon user/group are ... as that user runs that command. ...
      (alt.linux)
    • RE: remote ssh for root
      ... forced-commands-only option set, you have to have the command option set. ... execution as root. ... > This message contains confidential information and is ...
      (SSH)