Re: User?s and Shells

From: Brian Hatch (
Date: 12/19/02

    Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:34:15 -0800
    From: Brian Hatch <>
    To: OTERO Hernan Gustavo EDS <>

    > Looking in the /etc/passwd in my RH 8.0 instalation, the users
    > rpm:x:37:37::/var/lib/rpm:/bin/bash
    > has shell. Why this users need shell?

    rpm probably doesn't need a shell.

    Note that the user news above doesn't have a shell listed.
    That means that /bin/sh is the shell by default. So you
    have *two* users above who have shells, not one.

    To have no shell, you'd want

    or something similar. Many folks use '/bin/false' for

    Brian Hatch                  "Everyone one meets
       Systems and                is a paradox nowadays.
       Security Engineer          It makes society so...     obvious."
    Every message PGP signed

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Rogue DHCP Lease... hacker?
      ... The 'rpm -V' mechanism was originally meant to uncover user blunders. ... Bash or at least Bourne shell in the stuff that follows - a C shell ... the shell will first look for INTERNAL shell commands (at a shell ...
    • Re: help - I installed rpm4.0.6 and now nothing works!
      ... revert back to the previous version of RPM (because I have not yet ... Moe's post indicated that rpm4 for rh6.2 did exist. ... prevents you from starting a shell on the hosting computer, and and then chroot to the mounted disk within the same shell. ... chroot needs to start a shell inside the chroot environment. ...
    • Re: what commands did you use on bittorrent ?
      ... what I did in the message "Re: BitTorrent rpm"? ... That downloaded the rpm to my directory of choice. ... Then, I opened a shell, cd'd to the directory where I saved the rpm, and typed ... I put my computer outside my firewall just long enough to download the files, ...
    • Re: SCP umask and def. modes
      ... The RPM versions of what is loaded on the RH 7.0 box is: ... [jimw@web jimw]$ rpm -qa|grep openss ... If not then all the shell start up scripts in the world will have no effect. ... > JW> scp protocol. ...
    • Re: "Permission Denied" on all programs for non-root?
      ... Your original post says "RH9 box" so why not let 'rpm' check ... to execute the shell. ... but I think I'd try the rpm verification first. ...