Re: Openssh and sendmail signatures

From: Johannes Ullrich (jullrich@euclidian.com)
Date: 09/11/02

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:13:15 -0400
From: "Johannes Ullrich" <jullrich@euclidian.com>
To: monz@danbbs.dk

> How do I prevent Openssh telling which version is running?
> Likewise with sendmail? (I know you'll tell med to use another MTA..).

openssh: you need to patch the source afaik. no simple solution.

sendmail: in sendmail.cf, look for:
# SMTP initial login message (old $e macro)
O SmtpGreetingMessage=$j Sendmail $v/$Z; $b

$j - hostname (see line that starts with 'Dj' )
$Z - version (see line that starts with 'DZ' )
$b - time

Its recommended to keep $j , in order to identify the name servers
host name. other then that, just change it...

O SmtpGreetingMessage=$j My_Supermailer - Do not relay.

jullrich@euclidian.com             Collaborative Intrusion Detection
                                         join http://www.dshield.org

Relevant Pages

  • Re: sendmail logs
    ... i also realized that sendmail allows relay from any host in /etc/hosts no ... matter if the host is listed in the access file. ... Connected to localhost. ... > the messages from sendmail as they happen. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: forward deferred messages to smarthost.
    ... I'm working to shutdown a host running sendmail. ... This moved all but the deferred messages to the hosts.mydomain.com mx ... sendmail to forward these messages to the smart host relay as well? ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • RE: Sendmail to Relay different domains to different hosts
    ... Sendmail to Relay different domains to different hosts ... These servers relay messages to both internal recipients ... everything else out to our usual smart host. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: relay on sendmail on solaris 5.9
    ... syslog on my server i find that sendmail use another host as relay. ... Our network admin do some mistakes ) ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: can I customize multiple relay host ? by recipient ?
    ... I have some of my clients domains MX records point to my server so that I can spam filter for them. ... I then have my Sendmail configured to relay for these domains and corresponding Mailertable entries to tell Sendmail to relay email for these domains to the real mail server, not the onelisted in MX records. ... Or, if the host name listed in the Mailertable resolves to multiple servers, Sendmail will use them. ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)