Re: LDAP Auth?

From: Michael Alan Dorman (mdorman@debian.org)
Date: 07/30/02

To: focus-linux@securityfocus.org
From: Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@debian.org>
Date: 30 Jul 2002 16:51:43 -0400

Ken Gourlay <ken@thechain.com> writes:
> LDAP is nice, but depending on how many users you have, it may not
> be efficient enough to do what you need done. I'm happy to talk to
> you about more specific things, but I guess my immediate
> recommendation is to strongly consider why you want to use LDAP as a
> standard before jumping into it.

Hum. Were you using nscd? That should have cached the heck out of
those requests.

Actually, I, personally, would be suspicious of any LDAP server backed
against an SQL server. It wouldn't suprise me at all to find the
performance was sub-par---if you look at the documents that the
OpenLDAP crew themselves provide in their Faq-O-Matiq, there's lots of
good reasons why.

Mike.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: KDC Hardware
    ... depending on what you are using your LDAP directory ... > If your LDAP server is compromised, you reinstall the machine, restore ... in the LDAP database. ...
    (comp.protocols.kerberos)
  • Re: LDAP Auth?
    ... On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Ken Gourlay wrote: ... > LDAP is nice, but depending on how many users you have, it may not be ... couple lines in your slapd.conf - were you using OpenLDAP? ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: LDAP and SQL Server?
    ... Windows domain that does the synchronization with LDAP. ... Mike Epprecht, Microsoft SQL Server MVP ... > They want to authenticate everything to LDAP. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: LDAP to populate SQL 2000/Active Directory
    ... I'd like to extract the users/attributes from that LDAP ... >users will go into SQL Server 2000 database). ... a batch command which will dump selected fields from selected records ...
    (comp.programming)
  • SQL Server as LDAP storage...
    ... Does anyone know of an LDAP that can use SQL server as its storage mechanism? ... I tried googling and bing'ing for this, but the only hits I get is about ...