Re: Security by hiding processes

From: quentyn@fotango.com
Date: 07/23/02

Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:48:45 +0100
From: quentyn@fotango.com
To: "Remco B. Brink" <remco@rc6.org>

"Remco B. Brink" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> during a lively discussion in some Norwegian newsgroups the issue was
> raised of increasing security on a Linux server by not allowing users
> to view process listings.
>
> Suggestions like restricting access to /proc were named, but there
> were few suggestions on how to properly implement this.

have you looked at the openwall patches for linux

http://www.openwall.com/linux/

proc security is right in there

if I was to run a shell server for the public ( shudder ) I would put
this straight on

I have found the openwall patches to do exactly what they say on the tin

Quentyn Taylor
Sysadmin - Fotango
typewriters, and Usenet is
NOTHING like Shakespeare.