Re: Web filtering?

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@wirex.com)
Date: 06/12/02

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:37:20 -0700
From: Seth Arnold <sarnold@wirex.com>
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 06:18:10PM -0600, Chris Rondthaler wrote:
> Anyone aware of any Open Source web-filtering apps. for the Linux platform?
> Would not be handling more than 20-50 users at any one time.

Chris, you could tie a squid web proxy together with any of the filters
that can run in conjunction with squid. The squid website, last time I
looked, had a nice list of various filters with a vague description of
their goals, where to find them, etc.

Warning: squid takes a fair amount of memory and disk. I think it is
worth it. Be sure to use a firewall solution of some sort (ipchains,
iptables, ipf, pf, dedicated machine, whatever) to ensure that
connections to your squid proxy come only from hosts you trust. (In case
you are wondering, no, I wouldn't rely on the ACLs alone. :)

Cheers! ;)

--
http://immunix.org/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Caching Servers
    ... It appears that just about everything to do with squid is discussed on the ... squid mailing list at http://www.squid-cache.org/ rather than on usenet. ... Chris ... Prev by Date: ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix)
  • Re: Squid Time Zone Setting (Urgent)
    ... I've pointed you to the answer for squid in my first reply to you. ... IIRC you've got 168.1.x.x but you should ... Squid *can* do it but you're trying to solve the wrong medium-term ... Chris ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)