Re: securing nic's for snort

From: quentyn@fotango.com
Date: 05/30/02

Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:19:41 +0100
From: quentyn@fotango.com
To: Patrick Morris <pmorris@wilshire.com>

Patrick Morris wrote:

> You've pretty much got two options on this. You can have a stealth
> interface (which just means you've got no IP address assigned to it, so
> it listens on the network but there's no address to hit it on), or
> you can go all out and attach it to your hub/switch with a
> listen-only cable (one with the transmit wires removed).

fairly certain that a listen only cable will not work with a switch....

why not use an ether tap ?

there is no substitute for a hardware based solution :o)

#####################
Quentyn Taylor
Sysadmin - Fotango
#####################
"Now, it is indeed possible that you are imparting great wisdom while
looking like a
semi-literate half wit, but I and many others like me will never see
that wisdom if we blow by
you on our way through 300+ messages a day."
   Ben Ryan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem with Google Mail and Ubuntu
    ... listens on port 25 and the interfaces you specify. ... an Internet-connected interface, then it can indeed receive mail. ... but what I wanted to say with the statement is that Postfix ... via the file system to the local mail ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How can a server know its own IP address
    ... > server know on which IP address it is running. ... has a physical network interface has at least two interfaces with each ... If you want to know on what IP address the given web server listens ... the best way is to read it's configuration files. ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: ntp on linux listen on an interface
    ... >respond on that interface. ... >alias of the interface that has a different ip-address. ... >Can ntpd be configured to listen on a certain ip-address and respond as ... ip-address" I believe - if you don't mind that it listens on other IP ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • dhcpd interface specification
    ... server to listen on one interface and it listens on both. ... Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.1rc12 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: ntp on linux listen on an interface
    ... I configured an interface on that machine and want ntpd to listen and respond on that interface. ... Can ntpd be configured to listen on a certain ip-address and respond as if the response is coming from that same ip-address? ... ip-address" I believe - if you don't mind that it listens on other IP addresses too, it should work already, but depending on version and OS you may need to give it the -L option to have it listen on "alias" addresses a.k.a. "virtual interfaces". ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)