Re: Linux Hardening

From: echo@beltrani.com
Date: 05/24/02

Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: echo@beltrani.com
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Koen wrote:

> > Anyone know where I can find step-by-step documentation
> > on Hardening RH Linux boxes? I usually just use Bastille
> > Linux to do the hardening but I'd also like a better
> > understanding to be able to also perform the task manually

... snipped ...
> What I do first after installation is an 'rpm -qa > rpmfiles' and check out
... snipped ...

All good tips. I would add:

After doing a CLEAN install, use a package like tripwire to
verify the integrity of your system. It will not protect you
from being hacked, but it will let you know if something has been
compromised.

The open source version of tripwire is available at
http://www.tripwire.org/ or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripwire/

  - Paul Beltrani

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux Hardening
    ... > Anyone know where I can find step-by-step documentation ... > on Hardening RH Linux boxes? ... I usually just use Bastille ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Linux Hardening
    ... > Anyone know where I can find step-by-step documentation ... > on Hardening RH Linux boxes? ... I usually just use Bastille ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Linux Hardening
    ... Searching for an archive of all important security mailing lists? ... >on Hardening RH Linux boxes? ... I usually just use Bastille ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Linux Hardening
    ... Fallon, Benjamin wrote: ... > on Hardening RH Linux boxes? ... I usually just use Bastille ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Linux Hardening
    ... So I was hoping that our geniuses in security-basics might be able to help ... on Hardening RH Linux boxes? ... Linux to do the hardening but I'd also like a better ...
    (Security-Basics)