Re: Linux Hardening

From: Sumit Dhar (sumit.dhar@slmsoft.com)
Date: 05/23/02

Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:31:07 +0530 (IST)
From: Sumit Dhar <sumit.dhar@slmsoft.com>
To: "Fallon, Benjamin" <bfallon@Businessedge.com>

> Anyone know where I can find step-by-step documentation
> on Hardening RH Linux boxes? I usually just use Bastille

Check out Securing and Optimizing Linux by Gerhard Mourani.

Availabe at www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/

I do believe this is one of the better books on this topic. The other book that you might want to try is:

Maximum Linux Security

Cheers
Sumit Dhar [http://dhar.homelinux.com/dhar/]
Manager [Research and Product Development]
SLMsoft.com

--
pub  1024D/7AB2D05A 2002-02-24 Sumit Dhar (Sumit Dhar, SLMSoft.com)
Key fingerprint = 4A18 D20D 3D15 6C5B CD2F  8E45 B903 0C29 7AB2 D05A

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Locking Down a Linux Box
    ... I'm new to using Linux and need ... In a nutshell, you run this script on a virgin installation, ... The script covers off pretty much everything from the SANS book "Securing ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Monitoring and securing outbound connections
    ... I am mostly interested in protecting and securing my Linux computer ... from outbound malicious scripts and executables (applications). ... Firefox itself has a good reputation but that says nothing about the plugins of which most people have more than they need. ... Given how quickly I was found by two people and that I have been using linux full time for over nine years and never been hacked there are two possibilities. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Linux Hardening
    ... Check out Securing and Optimizing Linux by Gerhard Mourani. ... I do believe this is one of the better books on this topic. ... -- pub 1024D/7AB2D05A 2002-02-24 Sumit Dhar ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Locking Down a Linux Box
    ... Things like pop3 servers, rpc, ftpd, telnetd ... If you want, openwall patches, or patches for the kernel based on those ... These are the first things that come to mind when I think of securing a ... > Linux 7.2 Server OS. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Debian workstations in a school environment
    ... our workstations run Windows. ... managing linux workstations. ... There is a good document on securing Debian. ... Beauty is more important in computing than anywhere else in technology ...
    (Debian-User)