Re: AW: AW: entry in /etc/passwd

From: Matt.Carpenter@alticor.com
Date: 05/08/02

To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
From: Matt.Carpenter@alticor.com
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:28:53 -0400

Perhaps not quite what you're looking for, but Novell's eDirectory installs
on Linux and provides LDAP services out of the box. Novell's developerNet
is free to join and provides free access to the eDirectory, API's, and even
documentation. BTW- Their API's for LDAP are far superior for common
"real-world" tasks than any I've seen.

If you are interested in staying OpenSource, then read one of the great
online docs on setting up an LDAP server. Check out Google (gg:LDAP
linux) or the HOWTO's located everywhere (
http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto)
It will show you sides of LDAP you never knew existed, but also provide
good directions for setting up a tree.

Good luck

vogt@hansenet.com
05/03/2002 04:38 AM
>It may just be me (and let's be frank: My knowledge of LDAP consists of
>knowing what it stands for and that's it), but setting up the LDAP server
>was a pain in the ass last time I tried. Setting up the YP server took
half
>an hour, tops.

<snip>

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility
    ... >> that you're not very familiar with what's availible for AAA under Linux. ... And RADIUS servers can look to LDAP for user information. ... You can put them in a single replicated LDAP server. ... As an administrator, I can and do lock down Linux boxes. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Remote User Admin
    ... > Is there already something built in to Linux ... LDAP, and store the data in an LDAP database, or ... and store the data in a PostgreSQL database. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • RE: Linux, LDAP and the impossibility of handling editable PDFs
    ... Linux, LDAP and the impossibility of handling editable PDFs ... And here it comes that FreeBSD seems ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Leute
    ... Mach das mal als Newbie in einem neuen Thema, trotz reichlicher PC-Erfahrung unter Linux. ... Und wenn Du es dann geschafft hast, verzahnnen sich die unter LDAP erfassten User noch lange nicht z. ... Beim Mac war das eine absolute RuckZuck-Aktion. ... Hast Du mit Macports z.B. auch. ...
    (de.comp.sys.mac.misc)
  • Re: LDAP, ActiveDirectory and the death of Linux at corporate
    ... The contractor has been telling me he wants to support Linux, ... in this little low-tech town, while the Windows business keeps climbing, ... sites will fall to Exchange. ... The LDAP sub-community is bottle-necked, ...
    (Ubuntu)