Re: plain text vs. html

From: Martin Würtele (security@wuertele.net)
Date: 05/08/02

Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:48:19 +0200
From: Martin Würtele <security@wuertele.net>
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

Hi Miklos!

On Tue, 07 May 2002, Miklos Bagi Jr. wrote:

> Well, I'm in this trap. I'm sure if my company were use plain text as emailing
> there wouldn't be any chance to get such infections like html mails are
> carrying inside of them. My question is:
>
> Is there any way to filter out html mails and "convert" them to plain text? As
> I see on my e-mail client (kmail), it does it really nice, but what I'm
> really looking for is doing it "on-the-fly" by sendmail for example.
>
> So technically it is possible, that's for sure, but is there any complete
> solutions/workarounds/scripts already working you know of?

You can use procmail to execute something like "/usr/bin/links -dump"
and replace the text/html part with a text/plain part in the email.

yours Martin

--
<martin@wuertele.net> ----------------------------- NO HTML MAILS PLEASE
           GPG / PGP encrypted and signed messages preferred

Relevant Pages

  • plain text vs. html
    ... there wouldn't be any chance to get such infections like html mails are ... Is there any way to filter out html mails and "convert" them to plain text? ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: plain text vs. html
    ... On Tuesday 07 May 2002 07:43, Miklos Bagi Jr. ... > Well, I'm in this trap. ... I'm sure if my company were use plain text as ... > Is there any way to filter out html mails and "convert" them to plain text? ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Image attachments and dialup
    ... HTML mails for me is, that they are somewhat harder to read than plain ... or bottom posters. ... Wem ein Nachteil an Vermögen, Körper, Geist oder dergleichen zugefügt ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: plain text vs. html
    ... On Út, 2002-05-07 at 01:43, Miklos Bagi Jr. ... > Is there any way to filter out html mails and "convert" them to plain text? ... I have to recommend to you, instead of tranlation HTML to the plain ... filter based on procmail. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Pocket Outlook & HTML emails
    ... As long as the sender sends as "both html and plain text" you should get the text portions... ... it may be easiest to access your html mails through that. ... Further, some providers also offer "PDA friendly" web sites to access mail without all the fluff, java ads and frames. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition)